It is "the state of being friends" or "one attached to another by affection or esteem" as Merriam Webster Online Dictionary explains it. However, there is a lot more to it.
Being a friend with somebody is having the chance to tell that person your deepest secrets, thoughts, and emotions and knowing that this person will listen to you unbiased, knowing that he or she will give you an advice if needed but not judge you, be there whenever you need it asking no questions why and love you knowing all about your bad sides. Your spouse comes one step closer being your sexual partner and being the person that you have promised to spend the rest of your life with.
How many of you truly believe that you have somebody that you can call at 2.59 am in the morning and ask them to come and pick you up and drop you to the airport because there is an emergency and you need to leave immediately. How many of your acquaintances will come without questioning themselves why you did not call a cab. Going to more extreme circumstances, if you need a kidney transplantation, how many of them will share one of theirs with you? To tell you the truth, I even don't know how many of my closest people that I consider friends will do it. Maybe because I leave 10 000 miles away from the people I think are my best friends and maybe because I am still not sure how long does it take to build such a relationship and reach that kind of closeness, trust, respect, tolerance, and affection with the ones I met in US.
I have several friends here but I am not sure that you can create such a connection with somebody for such a short time such as two years or less. Or, am I right?
I remember when I saw E. It was in a nightclub. I just had a glimpse of her but her face stayed with me for a long time , long enough to recognize her when I saw her few week later in a restaurant. I knew that there must be something special about this person since I was keeping a memory of an individual completely unrelated to me. I decided to start a conversation and figure out what made me pay attention to her. This was one of the moments I will never forget because it was my first conversation with one of my best friend that I will do anything for. The next day, since I did not take her number, I had to figure out how to connect with her again. So I went on myspace.com and luckily she had an account. I left her a message and she called me later on the same day. The next thing I knew, we are inseparable. I am friends with her for almost two years. My other friend, K, I know for only one year but she knows things about me as much as I do. I do believe actually that you need some time to built trust in a relationship but I strongly believe that from the moment you see a person you unconsciously appraise this individual whether he or she is similar to you in understandings and aspirations.
I have this other friend with whom it is the complete opposite because when I met her I thought that we do not have anything in common. She meets people all the time because she goes out every night. She has a big problem because the people she thinks are her friends after two weeks of clubbing together let her down. Actually, her problem is not that people that she knows disappoint her but the fact that she is actually the one that is not trying to built close relationships with anybody. She just drops you out of her life if you do not have any "time to waste" clubbing every night. At the end, her few true friends who knows the way she is and love her boundlessly like me and E are always there when she needs somebody to wipe her tears.
I am writing all this because I want you to think about your friends and start appreciating more what you have. Some day, since you never know what is going to happen to your family, they maybe the only ones that will give you a hand in a tough situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment